Friday, September 12, 2014

Cultivating BRAVE young writers!

Well... it's week 2 and writer's workshop is in full swing! My first grader know how to get writing supplies, the noise level expectations, what to do in a writing conference, how to get a new pencil, where to get new paper, what to do when they think they're done, and finally.... what to do when they need to spell a tricky word! Which brings me to this post!

The first day of writer's workshop is always so exhausting! Kids are up out of their seats showing you their papers and all you can hear is, "How do you spell____?"  over and over again! I couldn't wait to get to the BRAVE lesson that I started doing last year. I thought that the song BRAVE by Sara Bereilles was absolutely perfect for this teaching point. I play the song for the kids (you can just find it on youtube) and we listen to JUST the chorus (there is a part at the very beginning that mentions the words "weapon" and "drug" so I skip that part and pause it right when the chorus is about to begin. The words ARE SO PERFECT for writing. The chorus says, "Say what you wanna say, and let the words fall out, honestly... I wanna see you be brave!" So many times, my first graders are hesitant to write because they don't know how to spell the words. When I conference with students and ask them to write what happened next, many of them say, "but I don't know how to write that." Then they end up avoiding writing just because they don't have the confidence to stretch out the words the best they can.

After this lesson, the chorus from the song is our mantra for spelling during writer's workshop! I love how it says to let the words fall out. I tell the kids to let their words fall out of their brains right onto their paper and to be BRAVE as they attempt to spell!

I made this little poster to post in our writing area as a reminder. Click on it below to download it for FREE from my TPT store. Don't forget to follow me so you don't miss my upcoming freebies!




No comments:

Post a Comment