Friday, July 18, 2014

Gem Shopping!

In my classroom I use a clip chart behavior system. I found a free clip chart on Pinterest that uses the seven habits language for each color. I use glittery clothespins with student numbers on them. Students begin each week on green (I am proactive and ready to learn!). Underneath the green is yellow, followed by orange, then red. Students who remain on green all week, earn a gem on Friday. I simply use a hot glue gun to glue the gems onto the student's pencil boxes (I purchase pencil boxes for everyone at the beginning of the year). I actually refer to them as "gem boxes" with my students. These gem boxes get covered with gems and the students are so proud of them! 

Gems are a big hit in first grade with the girls AND the boys. It's amazing to see how much the kids love gem shopping. I've been doing this for 8 years now, and it's probably the easiest, cheapest, most loved reward for making good choices. I buy the gems wherever I can find them! Joann's sells a big bag of them so I use a coupon and they are very reasonable. 
Because students have to stay on green EVERY. SINGLE. DAY of the week in order to gem shop... they are very conscious of their behaviors and understand from day one that it only takes one move on the clip-chart to lose out on a gem. For some students, it only takes one mistake and they learn from it real quick! For others, gem shopping may not be as important. In these cases, individual behavior plans may be necessary. But overall, gem shopping is a big motivator and is always a big hit in my classroom.
So if you're looking for an easy little reward for making good choices, try out GEM SHOPPING!


No comments:

Post a Comment